Question and Answer
How do I find background information for my research topic?
Finding background information is a great way to ground yourself in a topic that might be new to you and to set yourself up for success.
- Begin by looking in online dictionaries and encyclopedias (even Wikipedia is ok here).
- Read through an article related to your topic.
- As you read, list keywords that you may not have already considered, as well as additional questions that the article generate for you.
- Once you have a general understanding of the topic, you can move into searching Google, Google Scholar or a general database like Academic Search Ultimate.
- Continue to research from there, making sure to pay attention to the words that researchers and authors are using to discuss the topic.
CQ Researcher is a great place to gather background information on current topics.