Question and Answer
How do I make sure I understand my research assignment?
Look at the assignment and answer these questions.
- Have you been assigned a topic or can you choose a topic?
- What type of research is needed? Original research (such as survey or experiment) or secondary research (such as research published in books/journal articles)?
- Do you need to analyze a topic from different viewpoints, or do you need to take one position and defend it?
- Are you required to use a certain number or type of resources in your research?
- What is the citation style that your professor would like you to use?
- Format/Length: Is there a page limit for the completed assignment? Have formatting guidelines, such as line spacing, numbering, or font size been given?
- What is the due date?
See UCLA’s Research Paper Planner to help guide you step by step through the research process.
For a more in-depth understanding take a look at chapter 2 of the text Research Like a Librarian.